Saturday, May 14, 2011

Zoo Keeper

Do you remember that arcade game from the '80s titled Zoo Keeper? I won't hold it against you if you don't. Like every other video game in the '80s it was terrible and magical at the same time. In it you play a zoo keeper that is frantically trying to build walls around the uncaged animals. The action was frantic and frenzied. It was truly a game that required equal parts skill and luck. Why do I mention this?

Because I swear that sometimes I feel like a zoo keeper. Two dogs. Two cats. Two lizards. Two kids (hahaha). Two dozen fish. A frog in the pond. A chipmunk that lives under the pond. A hawk that lives in the backyard Oak. A nesting robin under the back balcony. A murder of crows that have taken over the block. Dueling blue jays that do nothing but fight all day. Gray squirrels (*that*, my friend, is an odd word to spell). Skunks. Finches and cardinals. Even the occasional opossum. You name it!

Well, add to the list the newest, unofficial member of the zoo - "Nibbles" the gray squirrel who likes to chew on the gutter outside our bedroom window. It took us nearly a year to figure out what "the noise" was. I probably don't have enough fingers to count how many times Jooj woke me up in a panic after hearing "the noise", convinced that rats were in the walls (and they were coming for us). I don't know why he does what he does. But I can't imagine that it is good for him - nor can I imagine that it is necessarily all that bad for the gutters. Silly bastard!

100% | 177 lbs. | 0% (0 of 128) | 14% (7 of 50) | 36.71% (134 of 365) | 6.444% (12 lbs.)

No comments: