Sunday, May 22, 2011

"When did you come back?"

My wife is an extremely light sleeper and I am quite the opposite. I breathe hard when I sleep so I sleep facing away from her. I breathe even harder on my back, my preferred sleep posture, so I sleep either on my side (the one facing away from her) or on my stomach. For whatever reason, I also jerk around a lot during sleep. So sometimes I get the boot.

I used to want to stay in the same room with her so I took to the floor. But the floor sucks. It's hard and it's cold. And it's the floor. So now I either go to the couch (when the kids are here) or go to Will's bed - which oddly enough was my bed years ago. I'm totally past thinking this portrays our relationship poorly. We just like our sleep. But last night I may have stumbled upon a new trick.

I was jerky last night. My back hurt - for sure. I argue that my body jerks when I try to roll onto my back but my subconscious (that's a tough word to spell) kicks in and jerks me back into place. She thinks that my father's epilepsy has been (ever so graciously) passed along to me. I'm not here to argue the cause (and an epilepsy test last year found nothing). I know I do it but don't know why.

She moaned and delivered the first warning. Pretty standard stuff. And normally this leads to me eventually vacating. We laid there for a bit longer before the second warning was uttered. Sometimes she threatens to go to the floor or the couch. She and I know that she would get nearly zero sleep attempting either location. So that is my cue to step up and volunteer to be the gentleman and do it myself.

"Will's on the couch. You can take his bed," she mumbled, half-asleep.

"Okay. I'm going."

And just like any other night we sleep separately we slept soundly for the rest of the night.

"When did you come back?" she asked me this morning after rolling over and seeing me there next to her. Oftentimes she'll slip into bed with me or I'll do the same so we get a little snuggle time in before we get a move on for the day.

Oddly enough, I actually had never left. I just told her I would. I went right back to sleep. And Jooj, finally able to shed her anxiety of me keeping her up since I told her I was leaving, had too.

So maybe I don't necessarily have to leave. Maybe I'll just tell her I'll leave. I'll miss out on a night sleeping on my back. And that'll be hard to give up. But not getting up in the first place, only to have to get settled somewhere else, has its merits too!

100% | 177.5 lbs. | 0% (0 of 128) | 14% (7 of 50) | 38.9% (142 of 365) | 6.444% (12 lbs.)

No comments: