Thursday, January 13, 2011

I just don't get the Prodigal Son story

So a particular bible story always perplexed me as a child. I've wrestled with it from time to time. And I must admit I still don't get it. It's the Prodigal Son story. I'm going to assume you know the story as I go on.

So the loser son comes home and begs to be taken back. The father not only takes him back but forgives him of his wastefully sinful ways and then throws a party on top of it all. The son that stayed with his father and worked the fields is a little pissed. His father pish-poshes him and argues that he is always with him and what is the father's is the son's.

Okay, so I get that the father is Gawd. The dumbass son is the common sinner. And the older son is the do-gooding, holier-than-thou Christian. The do-gooder is miffed 'cause the dumbass was wasteful and sinful and yet the family (i.e the congregation) applauds him when he "comes back into the flock." The do-gooder is jealous 'cause he is always doing good and never gets his own party. Gawd shakes a finger at the do-gooder and scolds him for not being thankful for just being close to Gawd in the first place.

I think that sums it up pretty nicely, yes? Please jump in and correct me if I'm not reading into it correctly.

So... how shall I start? Well, I don't like the dumbass - 'cause he's an ass... and probably a little dumb. Now that he is back what is keeping the dumbass from running off and doing it all over again? And if he does how many times are we going to throw a party? The penniless dumbass has come home! Let's party! How do I know this screw-up won't just screw it up? Forget that - let's move on.

So the father tells the do-gooder to take solace in the fact that he is always with him and that what is the father's is the son's. Let's hit up that first part... first. He is always with him? Yeah, maybe going out and blowing a bunch of money on bitches and blow sounds like fun - maybe it doesn't. But I bet the do-gooder wouldn't mind unwinding sometimes. Maybe heading over to Sodom and Gomorrah for a crazy weekend would be nice but just isn't in the cards. Maybe the do-gooder wants to let loose sometimes but he has no free time anymore 'cause who else is going to work the fields? Okay, I can go on but let me go on the my second gripe.

What is the father's is the son's... except now that dumbass is back it's kind of his now too, right? So the do-gooder was a do-gooder and played the responsible card. Dumbass shows up and now what? What if he asks dad for another slice of the pie?

I don't know. I guess I'm the jealous do-gooder and I just don't buy what dad is telling me about my dumbass brother. Oh well.

Oh, and I knocked out 6 paintings all at once. Nice way to start out the "Paint 50 pieces in 2011" New Year resolution!

13 of 365 | 12% (6 of 50) | 0 of 128 | 176.38 lbs. (177.5 lbs.) | 17.18% | 0.00% (0 lbs.)

No comments: