Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Suspended a Whole Session

The following email was sent to Mockingbird Valley Soccer Club late last night:


Christian:

My name is Eric Brinley and I play keeper for Galacticos on Tuesdays in Group B. I was involved in an altercation tonight during the final match between Galacticos and Monstars and was suspended from league play for the subsequent session. I am not writing to contest the suspension but would like to be refunded the league fee I had already paid for the upcoming session.

The incident took place in the final minutes of the final game. It had been a physical game that had earlier included two other instances of players confronting one another after aggressive fouls. My defender was taken down hard by a member of the other team - or so it seemed to me. The referee saw it differently and my player admitted to me later that he had actually committed the foul. That was the first mistake of many I would make in the ensuing moments. In an attempt to resume play quickly I placed the ball and attempted a long pass downfield. The pass struck the same member of the other team and ricocheted back towards me. He took offense and started charging toward me. I scooped up the ball and threw it at his face. He closed the distance between us and took me by the neck. At that point I swung at him. Players converged on us. During the fracas someone put their arm around my neck from behind, like a choke hold. I did not bother to find out who that person was before throwing them to the ground. It turned out to be one of the two referees. We were broken up and I walked away from the fray without any need for restraint. I did not need to "cool off" as I immediately regretted then as I regret now the entire incident.

I don't have an explanation or an excuse for my actions. Many players can attest that I am normally a very cool and level-headed player - the first to break up a scuffle or help a downed player, from either team. I apologized to the other team and especially to the member with whom I shared the altercation. I also wanted to be certain that the referee, whether he accepted or not, heard my apology. I believe he took it at first as me pleading my case to overturn his decision. I insisted that I was not and only wanted him to understand that I wanted to apologize for my actions toward him. He referees quite frequently and he knows me by sight as I know him.

Afterwards I attempted to arrange a refund. I was told that they could not authorize a refund and that I needed to contact you. Again, I am not contesting the suspension but would appreciate a refund as I am unable to play. I can stop by MVSC any day after work if you need my credit card number. Thank you.

Eric Brinley


Jooj called on my way home and got on my case about being so late. She told me that I can't play 10pm or 11pm games anymore. Well, no problem obliging you on Tuesdays now! Three of the last four games on Thursdays are 10pm games. I guess I'm done for the Thursday session too. And I may as well consider retiring from soccer again. The kids play early. The adults play late. Whatevs :|

100% | 174.72 lbs. (174.8 lbs.) | 16% (8 of 50) | 62.74% (229 of 365) | 112/45 lbs.

No comments: