Sunday, July 10, 2011

Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Took Will tonight to see Transformers: Dark of the Moon in 3D, the third installment in the Michael Bay Transformer series. I had some issues but tolerated the first one. I couldn't stand many, many things about the second one. This one was awesome if you kept one thing in mind:

"It doesn't need to make sense as long as there are 'splosions!"

There are so many things in this movie that don't make any sense. But before your brain can get its footing it's thrown another 'splosion and things are fine again. Huh, why did they do that? 'Splosion! Why are the Decepticons attacking that building? 'Splosion! Why is it day, then night, and then day again as Chicago gets its ass handed to it? 'Splosion! Why did Cybertron just totally invert on itself? 'Splosion! Why go to some much effort to use your glowing sword and axe when a simple shot to the head could've finished it easier? 'Splosion!

The Good: The 3D in this film is excellent. I dare say it is the best 3D I've seen to date of any movie. Michael Bay had to slow down his shots to accommodate the brain's ability to process the 3D and it did wonders for his action sequences. I actually felt like I knew what was going on. Leonard Nimoy as the voice of Sentinel Prime was perfect. And the best moment of the film was when he character cried "The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many!" (a direct contradiction to what his Spock character said at the end of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. I LOL'ed in the theater but was the only one). Megatron looked awesome - still mortally wounded from the second movie. Starscream played his awesome little bitch. Soundwave was the main bad guy for most of the movie and it was exciting to see him in that role - he was always my favorite.

The Bad: Well, as previously noted, there is plenty in the movie that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. It is a summer blockbuster. It's not gunning for Oscars. It muddles about when it tries to be clever. But it's dumbed down for the dumb masses with a heavy does of 'splosions.

The Ugly: It's a real shame that actors the likes of John Malkovich, Francis McDormand, and John Turturro play comic relief and take a backseat to Shia LaBeouf. And I know that some may think I'm full of it by saying this but Rosie Huntington-Whiteley is not really all that pretty. Her acting sucks. I actually wish Megan Fox would've stayed around for this last one.

Overall, I liked the movie. I recommend 3D. I'm not sure if I would still feel this way had I not just been blown away by the 3D.

100% | 174.5 lbs. | 0% (0 of 128) | 14% (7 of 50) | 52.33% (191 of 365) | 112/55 lbs

No comments: