Saturday, March 26, 2011

Fantasies within fantasies and dreams within dreams

Today was a glorious day. Not only did I get to watch a movie with Kelsey (one of our favorite past times back in the day) - at the theater no less - but I also sat down with Jooj for an evening flick. The movie I watched with Kelsey was the newly released Sucker Punch and the movie with Jooj was the award-winning Inception. Talk about a double-whammy mind-flip!

So Sucker Punch cannot be explained easily. It has a fantasy inside a fantasy featuring cute hotties, insane asylums, gargantuan samurai, 'splosions, gatling guns, bazookas, biplanes, automatic weapons, 'splosions, nazis, steampunk zombies, nazi zombies, 'splosions, zeppelins, creepy cooks, bombers, .50 caliber machine guns, castle sieges, knights, orcs, dragons, swords, 'splosions, moons of Saturn, hover trains, robot assassins, 'splosions, sassy nicknames, and lobotomies. It really was a dream for my inner geek. And I wanted to walk out of the theater proclaiming to the world, "This movie was made just for me!" (Much like I did for the personal favorite Scott Pilgrim vs. the World) But while the content was geektastically nergasmic, the story didn't pack a lot of punch. It was eye candy to the extreme but the story was a tad thin. I still enjoyed it. I just wanted it to rock my world and it only mustered a little nudge.

Inception, on the other hand, did rock my world. A dream within a dream. What a fantastic premise. I was on the edge of my seat for most of this one. I don't know what awards it won but it probably deserved more than it got. I highly recommend this one to anyone.

Damn, Zack Snyder and Chris Nolan are definitely on their game at the moment. Funny enough that their next project is working together on Superman: Man of Steel. If these two movies are any indication of what's to come we should be in for a treat (and I'm not that big a fan of Superman).

85 of 365 | 12% (6 of 50) | 0 of 128 | 172 lbs. | 95.88% | 4.726% (8.8 lbs.)

No comments: