Saturday, February 12, 2011

New 'Puter Setup

I started the complete revamping of the office this afternoon. I went out and bought some bits to drill 1-1/2" holes into the desk for cables. I also picked up a KVM switch from Radio Shack. I uninstalled all of he equipment in the office and started with a clean desk. At the end of it all, I have 2 monitors and 1 keyboard setup and ready for the office PC and the new Alienware coming on Monday. My switch tested perfectly. I also switched out my crap speakers with some older but better ones from the old, old PC. Lastly, I tried hooking up the old PC (not the old, old PC - I have too many 'puters) and my ancient Mac to see what would happen.

The old PC's hard drive was going out and it continued to act erratic. I may put some effort into recovering any data I may need off of it. Or I may just chuck it. It's 6 years old, which is like 120 years in computer years... LOL!

The poor Mac, my original Bondi blue G3 tower, couldn't find a bootable system on the drive. That may have been the last breath for her. I'll tinker with it some more but I'm not holding out much hope. I have some ancient stuff on it that had been transferred over the years from high school and college. I also have may *favorite* MAME roms on there. I'd like all of that stuff back. I'll *have* to do something. I'm not giving up on that one yet.

As for the old, old PC, I still need to drag that POS up from the basement and go through it. Maybe tomorrow.

On Monday, if all goes as planned (I get my butt in gear, I can recover data, FedEx delivers on time) I will have a new computer and will be retiring a total of 3 old ones. I'll take them to KinSafe for "recycling".

Anyway, I'm still recovering from staying up way too late Thursday and think I'm battling a slight cold. Off to bed!

43 of 365 | 12% (6 of 50) | 0 of 128 | 173 lbs. | 47.92% | 5.619% (8.6 lbs.)

No comments: