Saturday, March 6, 2010

First Fish Fry of Lent

OMG, I love living in a Catholic family. I can't decide if I like it more for the fish fries or for the summer picnics (hmm, there is something fundamentally wrong with my view of things if the two reasons I enjoy a religion are solely based on food). We went to our first fish fry last night (I know, it's the 3rd week of Lent) down at St. Joseph's. Mom and dad joined Jooj and me. Pat and Carol took a timeout from their volunteer duties (Pat on drinks and Carol at the register [*not* the cake wheel this year... drats!]). Their friends Neil and Tina even joined us.

I'm sure it's not just the fish and fries and hushpuppies (and I can't blame it all on the Bud Light Limes) that make those fish fries so much fun. We just had a great, fun conversation. Smiles abounded.

We left, reeking of grease, as things were starting to wind down. Jooj and I stayed over at mom and dad's for a while and just chatted away. It's so rare that the two of us have mom and dad to ourselves. There were no grandkids to share them with. It was nice.

I cannot wait until next Friday. I'ven't had that much fun in a smokey cafeteria since, well, last year's fish fries!

No comments: