Friday, June 12, 2009

Milestones in Space (and Blogger)

Tomorrow the space shuttle Endeavour lifts off for yet another delivery to the International Space Station. With it, it will mark the 500th person in space over the course of the various space programs across the globe. It will mark the largest group of space-bound people once they dock - 13 astronauts and cosmonauts. The two crews, in fact, will be a wonderful mix of different nationalities: American, Russian, Canadian, Japanese, and European. And one other nifty milestone will take place. It will mark the first time two Canadians were in space at the same time.

I'm quite the space nut. My dream in life is to be able to leave the gravity of Earth and experience the weightlessness of space. Well, that, and I'd also love to see our great ol' Mother from orbit. I'd love to see the curvature of the horizon. And I'd love to see the faint blue atmosphere rising several dozen miles above Earth's surface. Yeah, my smile would never fade if I were lucky enough to experience that.

And this post marks my 100th blog on ob1shinobi.blogspot.com. Hooray!

No comments: