Thursday, June 23, 2011

Wall Clouds vs. Funnel Clouds... I Know the Difference

Did I just earn my online meteorology degree? No (not yet!).

Last night a serious storm came rolling through L'ville. Things were fine and calm... and then the sirens started blaring. It was so strange 'cause things looked fine outside, even with the sirens blowing up outside. In fact, our neighbor was mowing his lawn unaware of the impending storm.

I was looking skyward out the back door. The sky was white with clouds hanging high in the air. A spiraling, wispy, lowering-hanging, starfish-shaped cloud quickly spun overhead. It wasn't necessarily scary but seemed very odd. I felt like I was watching something happening, for real. It was only later that Jooj told me that the news said it was called a Wall Cloud and normally proceeds a funnel cloud which can then in turn find it's way into a tornado.

I ran across the street to alert the neighbor. He saw me running and was startled by the sirens once he could hear them after the din of the lawnmower faded. I ran back to the safety of my home. The cloud passed. But more were on their way.

Shortly after, I was looking out the front door and saw huge, dark, greenish gray clouds menacing over the northeast. I watched fingers curl down and pretend like they wanted to be tornados. Those clouds, unlike the wall cloud, were quite terrorizing. They looked to be hanging over the houses of my sister and in-laws. We found out later that those were funnel clouds. And those things were scary shit!

100% | 174.5 lbs. | 0% (0 of 128) | 14% (7 of 50) | 47.38% (173 of 365)

No comments: