Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day (and something neat in City of Heroes)

To all the fathers out there, I hope your day is going as you hoped it would.

The party the night before was a success. Everyone had a blast. After a good night's sleep, I started the morning tending to a wounded* Jooj. After making sure she was going to survive I collected the kids and headed to Selena's for Father's Day brunch with her side. It was deeeee-licious!

The rest of the day was just bumming around and chilling. I played on my laptop while Will played Mass Effect 1. Kels took Will back to their dad's a little early. I grabbed some dinner for Jooj and me and chilled some more.

While playing City of Heroes last night I had something neat happen to me. I had played with my buddies for a while. Then we all joined a group to work on the hardest Task Force in the game - the one where the group fights ALL the major villains. We kicked ass and that was fun.

Later, after everyone else had logged off, I walked into a shop to sell some junk. Somebody was in there already. He buffed me. I buffed him. He paused and then messaged me something about how he liked the powers I had - his favorite combination. We went back and forth just a bit before I asked...

"NO WAY!!! Are you Local_Man?"

He answered that he was. OMVG**!!!

You see, like any other thing on the Internet, there are forums dedicated to City of Heroes. In it there is a section for each hero/villain type. Under each section there is a link for user-created player guides. For one particular toon of mine, the one I was playing last night at the time (and one of my favorites at the moment), I have used the well-written guide "A Local Guide to the Illusion Control/Radiation Emission Controller". That guide, a well-regarded and thorough piece, was written by Local_Man.

So we chatted about this and that. I told him that I relied heavily on his guide. He gave me a pointer. I told him that I was thrilled to meet him in-game. He said that made his day. We said goodnight. And I fell asleep with a big nerdy grin :)

* "wounded" meaning hungover

** Oh My Viking Gawd

100% | 173.5 lbs. | 0% (0 of 128) | 14% (7 of 50) | 46.58% (170 of 365)

No comments: