Saturday, June 25, 2011

Murray State Summer O

Summer Orientation started bright and early yesterday morning. After waiting in line, testing, browsing the bookstore, getting student ID picture, and sitting through a few morning sessions it was time for Kelsey to break off into her little groups. We would spend the rest of the morning and afternoon without her as we attended parent-oriented sessions. When we arrived she had been pensive. As the morning drew on her mood seemed to worsen. By the time she was to leave us she almost seemed apathetic, lethargic, regretful.

"Whatever you do today just try and have fun doing it," I encouraged. We had already given her speeches about the social aspects of college, expanding her horizons, keeping an open mind, staying positive, blah blah blah. I wanted her to get off on the right foot and really make the most of her college experience.

Well, the day drew on. We saw plenty of kids with their groups but never saw Kelsey. We skipped a session. Went to lunch. Sat through more sessions. And then my phone buzzed. It was KBear. Honestly, when I got it, my heart dropped. I just had this feeling that something was wrong.

"I'm making friends :D"

Jooj and I almost teared up. It was *that* moment that I knew she was going to be okay!

Looking back on the morning, and remembering the other kids, they all had that terrified regretful look on their face. Kels was just like the rest of them - except she, like many others (and unfortunately unlike some), did something about it. Yay!

100% | ??? lbs.* | 0% (0 of 128) | 14% (7 of 50) | 47.95% (175 of 365)

* No scale at Holiday Inn

No comments: