Thursday, November 25, 2010

Black Friday - Midnight Launch

Fuuuuuuck that.

First off, I walked outside to go to Walmart at 11:55 and it is a blizzard. Snow is coming down so hard I can barely see in front of me. Mind you, this is before I even get in the car. Looking through the windshield is no better. And it fogs up faster than... well I don't know but pretty fast. The roads were okay but the snow was coming down so hard. Maybe I should have taken this as a sign.

I reach Walmart and the lot is packed. Packed like Toys R Us. But there is no line since they are always open so I don't sweat it. I walk in and... whoah. Madness. Chaos. Packed carts. Rednecks. Slippery floors. That smell of cigarettes fused with clothing. Sweat. Ignorance. Fuuuuuuck me. This situation is already no good. I do my best to keep my shit together in this mad house and proceed toward the electronics section.

People are swarming. I'm getting bumped all over the place. People are rolling their carts filled with everything they can find. Some carts are empty. Some have sleeping babies (seriously, where's CPS?). I finally reach the electronics section and find that this is where the madness is centralized - this is the heart of darkness. And yet there is a calm. People are packed in but they aren't violently swarming over this or that. It's curious to me. I don't understand this calm. But it is soon evident what is going on.

Walmart, in all their wisdom, doesn't put out all of their merchandise. So these poor dudes are lugging huge cardboard display cases filled with DVDs, Blu-rays, and video games. When they come out they announce the general type of inventory and back away as quickly as possible. You see, I've never seen a school of piranha take down a cow but I can certainly imagine what it would look like. And this is probably the closest I can describe what happens to the poor cardboard case moments after its delivery. It's stripped bare.

I walked around for a while. Seriously, I was in a near state of shock. This behavior is just a sight to be seen.

I soon after tossed aside the two movies that weren't on my list but had picked up anyway and simply walked away. I'm not in any rush to wake up at the ass-crack of dawn to continue this Black Friday debacle. I think I've just about had my fill of Black Friday and haven't purchased a goddam thing yet.

No comments: