Wednesday, August 27, 2008

It will only get worse

That was Jed's mantra. He spent an exhaustive amount of time explaining to me that it is not a pessimistic way to view the world. I was never really convinced. But now I think I've got it. Instead of lamenting when things go awry and expecting everything to work out, maybe he's suggesting that we should expect things to just go downhill. And when they don't, well, won't that be a pleasant surprise? Well, things with Miss Annie are only getting worse.

I took Miss Annie to the vet today for what I was hoping would turn out to be a simple checkup. Miss Annie is not doing well. She's lost another 1/2 pound. The doctor is gravely concerned about her weight and told me to forget the prescribed food and to load her up on whatever is her favorite. She will die if she does not start taking in more calories. He sent me home with three IV bags and a bag full of needles to administer 200 cc's of fluids every other day. My attempt to stick her while in the office was unsuccessful (I stuck in and back out of her skin... so sorry Annie!) but I can do it moving forward. The vet pointed out that even he still does that from time to time.

So wish us luck. We'll go back to the vet in four weeks. With her health a growing concern (her eyesight is also failing the vet informed me) and mounting medical bills... well, I could be up for discussing the "other" option :(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Eric!. I have been trying to find a way to get in touch with you as your old email doesn't work. Drop me a line ryadamsATscDOTrrDOTcom.