Sunday, January 24, 2010

Weekend Update

* Farewell, Wendy - Back in the day, I used to help watch a grrrl with Down Syndrome named Wendy. She was in her mid- to late-twenties. She loved playing with Barbies, loved listening to pop music, and had a bit of a crush on me (although Elvis was her *MAN*). Well, my ol' pal Twinkie called yesterday and conveyed the sad news that she has passed away. As Beth tells it, she was in her room dancing to Elvis. She came downstairs and said that she didn't feel well. She began choking and then, they think, she suffered a stroke. She was rushed to the hospital but never woke up. My condolences go out to her family and friends.

* "Caprica" - The new series from Ron Moore, one of the masterminds behind the rebooted "Battlestar Galactica" (one of my favorite shows of all time), premiered Friday night on the SyFy channel (I like the new branding from "SciFi"... it's cute and witty). I can see why some of the fanboys weren't too impressed. The show was pretty light on the action and heavy on the drama. But it is showing some serious promise. I can't wait for the next episode.

* "The Hurt Locker" - I *finally* had a chance to watch one of my three most anticipated movies of 2009 last night. Wow, it was good. I've never been on the edge of my seat like I was in this movie (yes, more than Cloverfield... although I didn't have that fatigued feeling after Hurt Locker). After watching it I can safely say that my top three most anticipated movies were, in fact, mostly in the top three movies released in 2009. I would rank them as...

1. District 9
2. Avatar
2. Moon
3. The Hurt Locker
4. Star Trek
5. Watchmen
6. Up
7. The Hangover

Other mentions go to :

Night at the Museum 2 - worst piece of shit movie I saw last year

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - one of the best to date. I'm always confused by the HP movies. This one had less magical action and more story, which made for a much better movie all around, IMHO.

Coraline - this is supposed to be a kid's movie? This flick is downright creepy.

Drag Me To Hell - what a great little horror flick! It's good to know that Sam Raimi hasn't lost his touch.

I have not seen "A Serious Man", "Fantastic Mr Fox", "Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus", or "The Road". Those are, I believe, the last 4 of 2009 that I want to check out.

* GO VIKINGS! - the Vikings play the Saints today for the NFC championship. Yay!

No comments: