Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Farewell Miss Annie

We had to put Miss Annie to rest yesterday. She had been very lethargic and drinking massive amounts of water. She hadn't really moved from my chair and had soiled the dining room carpet to the point that it is not salvageable. In fact, Julie pulled it up and threw it out yesterday.

So we took her to the vet and told him that she had not been doing well and had started to urinate wherever she pleased. He held her and did not like what he felt. He explained that he was going to give her a shot to make her go to sleep, then anesthetize her, and then give her a lethal dose of barbiturates to her heart. What a way to go, eh?

She took the initial injection without flinching and curled up in my lap. I petted her and told her what a good girl she was. She fought the impending sleep so I placed her on the chair and wrapped the towel around her. She closed her eyes and flicked her tail as I sweet-talked her and did what I could to make her feel comfortable. That's the memory I will always hold onto as my last of her.

It was a pleasure having you around, Miss Annie. You kept me company during a time in my life when I thought no one would. Your New Orleans sass and attitude always came through. I will miss you!

No comments: