Friday, November 14, 2008

Farewell Felix

Two cats in two weeks :(

Mom put Felix to rest yesterday. She was their 19-year old cat. She was black and white and the runt of the litter. And yes, her name was Felix. We named her before we knew her gender.

I remember the day 19 years ago when he snatched her up. The back alley momma cat had a litter under our deck. The "uncle" of the cats (hell, it could've been the father too) didn't take kindly to the bunch so he came around and mortally wounded one of the kittens. Mom and the sis managed to get to the kitten and took it to the vet hospital.

We did everything we could but the poor thing had a punctured skull and slashed windpipe. We were going to name the kitten Miracle when we got it home. Unfortunately, Miracle died in my sister's lap on the car ride home from the hospital. It was quite horrible.

So we did what we could to coax the kittens out and I pounced. I scooped up the kitten. She started clawing and biting so I tossed her in the air at my sister. She was waiting with an open cardboard box and caught her perfectly. We took her inside and declared her ours.

Yep, that was 19 years ago. I think I had just turned 15. So let me wish a fond farewell to Felix. She wasn't the most friendly cat. But she had been around for more than half of my lifetime. I'll never forget her.

No comments: