Thursday, November 6, 2008

Dad had a heart attack!

Mom called last night exclaiming something about "ambulance", "father", and "heart attack". I understood what she meant and asked her to repeat it. Dad had a heart attack and was on his way to the hospital in an ambulance. Did she just say that? Really? I mean, I'm still sick with the flu and am still kinda shaken by the passing of Miss Annie so did she really say that? Yep. She did.

Jooj and I went to the hospital and went back to the ER. There was mom and my sister. And there was dad, sitting up and talking. He looked tired but this didn't seem as bad as it could have been (remember that line). He asked for some gum. The doctor explained the procedure that they were going to perform. Everything seemed like it was quite fine. I was expecting them to find a small blockage, blow up their balloon, and have him home for the weekend.

Jooj and I woke up this morning and went to the hospital. Dad was in a cramped room with an older fellow running a temperature of 104. Mom was not happy. After several hours they wheeled him away for the procedure and mom, sis, Jooj, and myself went to the cafeteria to grab a quick bite to eat. We came back and shortly after were taken back to see dad.

He was groggy. And he was in pain. The nurse was luring us with information but not telling us anything. That was odd. The doctor spoke with us and explained that he had 95% blockage in a major artery. After some finagling they managed to get a stint in there. The doctor emphasized how lucky we were - that most cases with this much blockage and pain that went on for 7 days usually end up fatal.

Fatal. Sheesh. That word has so much... finality to it. It scared me. And all of the sudden I felt very, very lucky to have my dad still with us. The kids still have their pops. His new granddaughter still has her grandfather. Mom still has Thurston. And I still have a dad.

I would ask if this week could get any worse. But I already know the answer. Of course it can. So I won't ask. I'll just contently thank whatever forces call the shots and do my best to not ripple the cosmic harmony that glues it all together while I quietly celebrate the fact that I still have a daddy. I love you Pops!

1 comment:

Nikoli said...

Glad he pulled through, man! Modern medicine is awesome. But now he REALLY has to lay off the butter and cigarettes. Damn that sucks.;)

Besides his work here isn't finished. He still has to teach you punctuality and that 90% of everything is simply showing up. ;)