Sunday, July 26, 2009

Motivation at an all time low this week

How does one generate the gumption to get through the grind? (does that last sentence count as alliteration?) Some weeks are slower than others. Some weeks blow by. Some weeks are bone-crushing, skull-busting, heart valve-blowing bad. Some weeks are cake (with icing!). You've gotta love what you do to stick it out. Fortunately, in most of my work experience, I've really enjoyed the work that I've done.

What about this week? I know that a phone call is coming. When I get that phone call - it will probably be Tim - I will answer it and ready myself for the words that he'll say. He will say something to the affect of, "Eric, we're going to have to let you go." I'm ready for it. I know it's coming.

But how do I motivate myself until that moment hits? Obviously I can close up shop and kiss off this job once I get that call. But what do I do in the meantime? I really can't justify kicking ass and putting yet another 50-hour work week in. I don't see myself staying up 'til 1AM babysitting a process that runs nightly for a third week in a row. I don't see myself waking up earlier than everyone else to get the day started. My daily scrum meeting? What the hell am I going to say? We all know - at least most of us secretly know - that some of us aren't going to be around next week. My boss is out of town this week. What about my support meeting on Tuesday? Hell, I think I can blow that one off.

But if I start blowing stuff off where do I stop? My work ethic tells me that I can't blow anything off. My bitterness tells me that I shouldn't work another hour for those fucks. I'm sure I'll fall somewhere between working a 40-hour week and working a 0-hour week, but where will I fall?

What an odd predicament I'm in. Just waiting now...

No comments: