Thursday, July 23, 2009

I did my good deed (and *not* 'cause I want the karma kickback)

The wife and I went to Walgreens tonight, among other errand-running places, to pick up some prescriptions for her. The young lady behind the counter plucked two bags of medication and scanned the first. Then her eye caught something on the computer screen and she went back to the bins and pulled another, larger bag. She scanned that one and tallied up our order... $25.

Okay, by my count, that was three medications but only 2 "beeps" from the scanner. And $25? I knew the eye drops were $20 and figured each of the others were $5 apiece. I asked her, "Did you scan all of them?". She smiled and said that she had.

I paid the total and we walked away. I checked the receipt as we walked down the aisle and I only saw two medications on it. The other, a $5 medication, was missing. I gave my wife a look and went back to the counter. I pointed out the mistake and they made some kind of comment about how honest I was.

I mean, I suppose I am wrong in thinking that people would normally do that. I know one time I got an extra $20 from the ATM machine and I never gave it back. But do I feel bad about that? Seriously, who was I going to give it back to? The bank was closed. I probably pissed it away on pitchers at Wick's or O'shea's. Had a teller miscounted I could turn around and give it back. And I would.

The grrrl seemed so shocked that I bothered to come back.

What an odd little world we live in.

No comments: