Friday, May 23, 2008

Rode in the back of a cop car last night

But I wasn't the perp.

While out with the dogs last night I noticed two teenage kids in the neighbor's backyard. I thought it was odd but didn't say anything to them. I took the dogs in and went upstairs to the bedroom to settle in and watch the Grey's Anatomy finale.

I heard voices right outside the window. I looked outside and saw the same two kids in my front yard. Are you kidding me? Sheesh, I wasn't having it. So I went downstairs to go say something to them. As I was on the second-to-last step one of them body slammed into the door. I just snapped.

I wasn't wearing a shirt or shoes but that didn't keep me from tearing out of the front door and sprinting after them. They instantly split up and I tailed the door-slammer until the end of the block. He had youth and fear on his side and I was barefoot... I wasn't going to catch him. I let up and yelled, "What's wrong with you, you fuck," before walking home. We got in the car and patrolled the neighborhood while we called the cops. The clubhouse was vandalized over Christmas and I caught some punk cutting through the flower garden just a week ago. I am sick of these punks messing with my yard and stuff.

The cops showed up after we returned to the house. I told them everything and then hopped in the back seat to go talk to some neighbors. I knew that we wouldn't be able to do anything about it but having an officer in tow may strike some fear into any kids we find. The cop thought I'd probably scared them enough by chasing after them. We hit up two houses but there were no teenagers matching the description. The last one we tried, however, had a kid that pretty much looked just like the one I had chased.

He wasn't wearing what he was wearing earlier but I'm pretty sure it was him. I stared him right in the eye and explained what I just mentioned above about kids and vandals and such. He seemed very uneasy. I didn't let on that I thought it was him. Oddly, he offered me a piece of gum. I thanked the parents and wished them a good night before walking off with the officer to go home.

"I think that was him, " I told the officer. He smiled at me with a chuckle.

"I think it was too."

No comments: