Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Do I like Acid Rap? Nah. Oh, I do?

Eminem once rapped the following line:

"I'm not acid rap but I rap on acid."

I have to chuckle. Of course you aren't acid rap, Em. He is pretty mainstream (although the tracks that don't make it onto the radio are by far his best work... so much hate). And acid rap, so I thought, was pretty trippy. I fancy myself a true fan of hip-hop, with a healthy dose of trance and trip-hop included. I never really considered myself a fan of what I perceived the genre of acid rap to be.

My favorite DJs and MCs are DJ Shadow, DJ Q-Bert, Mixmaster Mike, Dan the Automator, Del the Funky Homosapien, and even Kool Keith and Kid Koala. DJ Shadow and DJ Q-Bert are my absolute favorite. They are godly in their spinnin' and scratchin' prowess. I own as much DJ Shadow as I can find. And I love DJ Q-Bert's "Wavetwisters" DVD... GENIUS!

So I was listening to some Dr. Octagon (aka Kool Keith) on "Dr. Octagonecologyst" the other day. It was a pioneering album that just blew me away. I looked it up on wiki and found it classified as acid rap. I then clicked through to acid rap (I love clicking through wiki as much as I loved read the encyclopedias when I was a child) and found the following entry...

A pioneer in "acid rap" is the alternative MC Kool Keith, especially as Dr. Octagon on the 1996 album Dr. Octagonecologyst. Dr. Octagon's "Blue Flowers" is often thought of as defining the acid rap genre. Del tha Funkee Homosapien and his super-group Deltron 3030 are also known to make "acid rap" from time to time, while the alternative rap group The Pharcyde are credited with "acid rap" tracks in their 1992 acclaimed album Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde. DJ's and producers that commonly create acid rap beats include Dan the Automator, DJ Q-Bert, DJ Shadow, Invisibl Skratch Piklz, and occasionally Kid Koala and Mix Master Mike.

Wow! Seriously? Those are all of my boys. I totally forgot about the Pharcyde. I have their albums. I have the Invisibl Skratch Piklz album "The Shiggar Friggar Show". I love Deltron 3030. And "Blue Flowers" is one of my favorite songs ever (and the remix "Blue Flowers Revisited").

So I guess I'm a huge acid rap fan and didn't even know it. Funny what one can learn on wiki. BTW, here is the original article from wiki...

Wikipedia - Acid Rap

No comments: