Saturday, December 26, 2009

Granny is in the hospital

Granny had another accident this morning. She made a mess in the bed and on the floor. Mom was cleaning it up while Dad's friend was over. Afterwards, Granny fell again. This time mom and dad called the ambulance and had her taken to the hospital. My mom's sisters came over immediately (hell, my aunt from Shelbyville beat the ambulance to their house). Jooj and I waited until some of the dust settled and headed over there before and after dinner. She was doped up on morphine and didn't look good. I woke her up with a kiss to the forehead and she told me that my hair looked nice :)

Soooo, I suppose that Granny will be placed in a home after all of this is over. A social worker is coming to discuss options with the sisters later. RIght now, we have to get Granny back on her feet. She is suffering from anemia and also suffered a compression fracture in her back after a fall last week. She didn't let anyone know that she was in pain, that sly fox. They are readying a blood transfusion for her in case her blood count dips any lower. They have also found blood in her stool. We don't know what that means yet but that fact is fueling mom's suspicions that Granny is suffering from colon cancer and has been for some time. I sure hope not. Her legs and feet are swollen from congenital heart failure... her poor legs are actually seeping fluid.

I know that everyone needed to get their rest and had to go to their respective homes tonight to sleep. But I just hate the thought of Granny spending the night in the hospital without anyone there with her. I can't imagine how scared she might be, with her mental state that it already is in coupled with the fact that she's been doped up all day, if she were to wake up and not realize where she is. I feel so guilty that I'm not doing more for her. It's eating me up.

No comments: