Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas, Round 1

We celebrated Christmas today at Mom and Dad's. Melisss and her fam were there along with my fam. We opened gifts first. It was Luke's first Christmas and Emma's first where she kind of knew what was going on (but still kind of freaked out by all of the hoopla). Jooj and I both got gift cards for Home Depot (a gas-powered blower and gas-powered edger are as good as ours). Kelsey got a drawing tablet for her computer and a set of specialty markers that she's wanted. Will got two Wii games as well as the two seasons of the Clone Wars (the Genndy Tartakovsky ones that kicked all kinds of ass). Emma and Luke loaded up. Mom got her baseball ticket thing that will let her watch as much baseball as she can possibly fit in. Dad got a new flag, the new AC/DC CD, and a gift card for Ear X-tacy. It was a good haul overall.

But this Christmas had a bittersweet tone to it. Granny's health has been in an accelerating decline and it is pretty evident that this will be the last Christmas with her. I hear stories from Mom and Dad how this or that and it makes me sad. Today I was around for several instances of the evidence that she is really losing it. It was sad. I just hope that my mind and body go at the same time. I'm not scared of death - and I haven't been for some time - but I *am* scared of living life well past my time. I don't wish Granny to not be with us... I just wish the situation were better.

I love you Granny!!!

No comments: