Friday, September 11, 2009

September 11th

Do you remember where you were eight years ago today? I do. I was sitting in Texas, trying to figure out what to do with the rest of my life, watching it go nowhere that I really wanted, and wondering how in the world I had taken so many wrong turns. I woke up and attempted to log onto CNN.com. The site was overloaded and I thought that to be pretty odd. Then my friend Bernie called and told us that a single-engine plane had collided with the one of the World Trade Center towers. We turned on the television and didn't turn it off. Speculation grew that the plane was something much bigger. The second plane hit. The first plane was certainly not an accident at this point. Surely an attack. The Pentagon was hit. Was the White House next? All planes were immediately forced to land. Eight flights were missing. Nothing seemed safe. The towers came down. I was shocked, scared, and very angry. Sadness would come later - much later.

As Captain James T. Kirk stated in Wrath of Khan, "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life..." So to honor this quote, I'm going to balance the sadness that may be attached to this day with some thoughts about life.

Today was a good day. The cats have a new (used) cat tower. The grass is mowed. The plants are watered. The baby fish in the pond are growing. Will has some new shoes and experienced White Castle sliders for the first time. Jed is back in town. Kelsey did well on her Algebra test. Time keeps on slipping (slipping) into the future...

No comments: