Thursday, February 26, 2009

It's the little things

It's the little things in life that really put a smile on my face.

Will was given the video game Spore for his birfday back in November. He was overwhelmed with gifts at the time so just recently started playing it. It is a game of evolution that takes the player through five stages: cellular, creature, tribal, civilization, and space. It's a charming little game and is quite addictive.

Anyway, while he was playing it the other night he was in the space stage and was talking to an alien. My ear picked out something in the background music that seemed familiar. I turned up the speakers and was washed over with memories. The song playing in the background was the theme song from the game M.U.L.E.

Waaaay back in 1983 a little-known company named Electronic Arts (yeah, the same mega-huge game company of the same name as today) release a game called M.U.L.E. It, like so many games back then, was short on graphics but made up for it with ingenuity. Really, it was a crap game. But, oh, how much time I did spend playing it. And that music played in the background every time I fired the game up. I'm sure any geek knows of the game if they haven't had the pleasure to play it themselves. I may go try to find a playable version of it somewhere...

BTW, Will is doing fine. I blogged about it over at Concretins.com and sadly neglected to update The Haps by not linking to it...

Drama at the NoShow house

Thanks to all for the well-wishes, thoughts, and prayers (and food... YUMMY!). We love you all!

No comments: