Tuesday, November 24, 2009

No ma'am, I do not *need* a new computer

Jooj likes to tell me what I need to do. So when I brought up my 12-year old, inoperable G3 Mac (still running OS 9, thank you) from the basement, Jooj took the opportunity to tell me that *needed* a new computer and that I was going to get a new laptop. You know what? That's fine and all, but I, like the US military (or at least the actors *playing* them in the movie Black Hawk Down), leave no man behind. I bought this G3 used, with its cracked Bondi Blue case, and it has proven its worth time and time again. It is still the main computer I use in my studio to project the images that I paint by. And it's still good to fire up a classic arcade game via MacMAME. So while a visit to the Mac Store and a purchase of a shiny new Mac may be in my future, not today sister!

I noticed that it turned on, hummed about for a moment, and then turned off. I turned it on again and it did the same thing. Then it stopped doing anything. I thought that the power button wasn't springing back into place so it may just be a problem with the switch. I popped her open and had a look.

The casing housing the switch was locked in pretty tight. I grabbed a screwdriver and, after quickly thinking to myself "I can't hurt it anymore than it already is," pried the casing open. I quickly figured out which tiny button was the power and manually punched it. The machine hummed to life (lurched is probably more precise) and kept at it. So my switch it busted but now I know how to turn my machine on (in the event that I have to power it down, which happens from time to time).

And yes, I'll be going to the Mac Store soon, Jooj. Just not today.

No comments: