Friday, April 17, 2009

Doing my good deed

I headed over to Farmer Elementary yesterday to help with my wife's class. I had my painting supplies, some brushes, and small canvases. The plan was to work one-on-one with each child and create a piece of art for the upcoming Mother's Day. Sounds simple enough, right? Did you know that my wife teaches a unit of kids with special needs? There is nothing simple about that.

However, the little ones were on their best behavior for me. I knew from Jooj's stories that I should be ready to expect anything. But really they were little angels. Some of her kids certainly suffered a greater severity of autism than others. But we successfully completed nine pieces for each of her nine kids.

I was so proud of them. And helping them do that made me feel very special. Little Junior was adorable. Lexie was as cute as the stories (even when she was licking paint). Garren spoke in his alienspeak and it was sweet. Even Donoven was on his best behavior (he was very excited to be painting a piece for his Granny).

Believe it or not, I'm looking forward to doing it again.

No comments: