Friday, December 17, 2010

TRON Post-mortem

TRON was awesome. The movie was formulaic and a tad soulless, but the action was great, the 3D was well done, the effects were pretty sweet, the Daft Punk soundtrack was thrilling, Jeff Bridges was an awesome "Lebowski/Flynn", and Olivia Wilde looked pretty cute. It by no means blew my mind but I look forward to seeing it again. It didn't capture the magic of the original (I wasn't expecting it to). It was a pretty standard, by-the-book, Disney movie. But fun, you know?

Do you know what would have made it more fun? It would have been a lot more fun had I gone to the right theater!!!

The original plan was to meet Eddie and Steve at the theater. With ten minutes before showtime I got a text from Steve. I told him I was in the lobby. He asked where. I said by the door. And then my heart sank. I already knew what I had done and what was coming next. Moments later I received this text: "Please tell me you are not at Tinseltown."

No no no no no no no no no no!

(more Bit humor there, you *GEEK* [I'm pretty much making that joke for me but if you laughed, you too])

Kelsey was already with her friends and had retired to their respective theater. I purchased a single ticket to the 3D show at 12:05 AM, picked up my glasses, and enjoyed the show solo. I hadn't gone to a movie by myself since being blown away by "Spirited Away" after getting fired from an "ugh" job back in 2003 (I was excelling at making bad career moves during that period in my life). And before that it had been in 2001 to see a double-feature of K-PAX (great movie!) and Thirteen Ghosts (horrible, horrible movie!) in Lewisville back when I lived in Texas.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Disney does with their "The Black Hole" remake.

No comments: