Tuesday, June 3, 2008

That damn bluish-grayish egret/crane!!!

I drove up the driveway the other day and was amazed to see a huge, bluish-grayish crane/egret taking flight from my little pond in the backyard. It was as tall as Will and was a sight to see. Later it occurred to me to check on the goldfish in the pond as my bluish-grayish friend was possibly stopping by for more than just a dip. I counted the goldfish and... GODDAMMIT!!! What was once a happy family of 15 goldfish was now a terrified, broken family of 11 goldfish. And that avian bastard ate one of my prized gargantuan goldfish. Shit!!! I had two huge goldfish that I had nicknamed the "Big Daddies" and only one is there. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

The leopard goldfish is still there. The milky one with the bright orange spots is there. Blackie is still there. So I guess he got one of the Big Daddies and a few of the smaller ones. Bastard!

"You need some terracotta in there to protect them from predators," was a statement that my friend and botanist Matt had told me. And that statement is searing in my brain right now. How serendipitous was it that I received a call from him the next day? Well, I asked him to come out and help me out with the pond. I don't want to lose my other Big Daddy or any other fish to that bluish-graying egret/crane bastard again :(

No comments: